Brielle Wilborn is a powerhouse during two sports seasons

VERONICA MEYER, Staff Writer

Photo by Patricia Shettleworth
Brielle Wilborn goes up for a shot during a home game against Rocky Hill. This year Wilborn scored her 1,000th career point against Glastonbury High School on January 14.

For the past few years, there has been a force to be reckoned with playing for the girls basketball team. Her name is Brielle Wilborn. Ever since she began to play basketball in second grade, she has dominated the court. Besides playing for the school or town team, Brielle has also played for Drive4Stardom, an Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) team. Through her many years of playing basketball, Wilborn has developed and mastered her skills as a center. Coach Robert Smernoff said that Wilborn, “does everything we want a center to do…she can make the close range layup shots…she now can make a 10 or 15 ft jump shot, she can finish with the other hand, and she has multiple post moves.”
In addition to her contributions on the court, Brielle has brought a positive attitude to the team this season. Smernoff said, “She really has made it a focus, for her this year, much more so than how many points she scores, or what our record is, for everyone to really feel included.”
Brielle has been on the varsity basketball team for all four seasons of her high school career, which led to her recruitment by numerous colleges. After contemplating between Saint Peter’s University, Central Connecticut State University, University of Delaware, and University of Hartford, Wilborn committed to the University of Hartford, a Division I school located in West Hartford, Connecticut. There, she will play for the basketball team and plans to major in sociology. When asked why UHart, Wilborn responded, “because …I liked the coaches, they were very interested in me as a person and me being a basketball player.”
According to Smernoff, the new basketball coach at UHart “100 percent plays the players who work the hardest.” Therefore, he believes that “…if Brielle continues to commit herself and plays as hard as she possibly can, she will get a lot of playing time there.”
Brielle had an amazing start to her final basketball season, leading the team to a current record of 13-1. The team’s single loss was due to an extremely close game against powerhouse Glastonbury. The loss was devastating, however, it was also filled with joy, as Wilborn scored her 1,000th career point. Over the course of eleven games, Brielle has scored a total of 222 points, scoring at least 10 points each game. Brielle is also approaching the milestone of 900 rebounds. Smernoff believes it is very realistic, depending on how far the team gets in the post-season, for Brielle to be one of the first, if not the only player to finish with over 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds.
With the success of the team this year, Wilborn hopes for the team to make it to Mohegan [to play in a state championship]. In other words, she wants, “to be able to do something that, as a Middletown High School basketball player, that others haven’t.”
In addition to her success on the court, Brielle finds success in the field events of track and field. For the past two track seasons, she has won the CIAC Class L Championship for shot put, giving her the status of an All-State athlete. Her personal records for the shot put and javelin are 37’2” and 105’5”, respectively. She plans to keep up the hard work for her senior season, determined to achieve All-State status for the third season in a this spring row.
Students can watch Wilborn play basketball when the team competes in the state tournament.