Unified sports excited about the start of basketball season

COLLIN CHELBOWSKI, Staff Writer

Photo by Rachel Gaudreau
Several of the school’s unified sports players compete in an away game against Portland High School’s unified sports team.

Unified sports is a program for teens of all abilities to compete in a variety of sports together. The team plays soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, and track in the spring. As of now, the team is in the full swing of basketball season.
There are one to two practices a week and five games throughout the season. The practices start at 2:15 and end at 3:15 and games start at 4:00 and end at 6:00. The season starts on Thursday, January 19 and lasts for ten weeks.
The coach of the unified sports team, Jennifer Broomfield, said, “Our goals for the season are to participate in as many games and tournaments as possible. Also, to really have team unity, I want the team to build the sense of togetherness, that is why we are called unified.”
Broomfield also went on to explain what she is looking forward to during the season. “The games are not about the winning, it is about the fun. I want everyone to feel like they have contributed. We do try to win and we keep score, but we don’t look at the end score, we look to see if we have done our best.”
Broomfield has been coaching the unified sports team for two years. The previous coaches were Kelly Griffin and Elizabeth Mancini.
The captain of the team is Seth Wiafe, a senior. He said, “It feels like a good team this year. Good players and good shooters.” He also explained that the games are very calm and not very showy.
This school year the unified sports team won an award from the Special Olympics International. This award was presented on December 9, 2016 for participating in three seasons of sports, and for being included in school activities such as banquets.
The team has a home game on February 3 at against Coginchaug. They also have other games on the schedule. They will play New Britain on March 8, and Berlin on March 15. Both games will be played away. However, the team hopes they get more games added to the schedule.
As of now, there are 22 people on the team, which Broomfield said is a lot of people and it would be amazing if there were more. The team encourages students who are not on the team to come out and support at one of their several games this season.