Popular book series A Series of Unfortunate Events turns Netflix Original

EMILY AUGERI, Staff Writer

There’s a new Netflix series out and it’s taking the world by storm.
Book series A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket has been adapted into a Netflix show, and people of all ages just can’t get enough.
The story follows three children, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire, as they travel to a plethora of strange places with strange people and even stranger circumstances. The first episode begins with the narrator, Lemony Snicket, telling the audience, “If you are interested in stories with happy endings, then you would be better off somewhere else.”
The series begins with family friend Mr. Poe telling the children that their parents have perished in a terrible fire. The children are left orphans and homeless, desperately seeking a way to cope with the tragedy.
The next day the children are brought to their new guardian named Count Olaf, a despicable man who is after the fortune left behind by the Baudelaire parents. He makes sure that the Baudelaires are placed in his care by tricking the gullible Mr. Poe. While he used to be friends with the children’s parents, they became enemies after several unexplainable events. He treats the children inhumanely and they end up leaving his care after numerous abuses.
The plot continues with many new guardians and many more unfortunate circumstances. The children are constantly followed by a disguised Count Olaf. The children try everything in their power to get rid of him, although doing so is a perilous task. While all of this is occurring, they uncover clues connecting them to their parents past, such as a telescope-like object recovered from the fire and the pages of an old book.
The Netflix adaptation is very much like the original book series. Although sad, they are entertaining and the mysteries keep readers captivated throughout. Though the stories have been adapted before into a movie that came out in 2004, the Netflix series is far superior. It follows four of the books, whereas the movie only follows three. Each book is given two episodes that range from forty to sixty minutes, and they contain much more detail from each story. The books are narrated by Lemony Snicket, played by Patrick Warburton, who is shown on screen during his narrations. This feature is unique and gives the viewers a chance to understand more of the story.
In addition, the other characters are depicted accurately. Count Olaf, played by Neil Patrick Harris, is thrilling in a treacherous way. He has a sinister look to him: a thick unibrow, unusually shiny eyes, and a tattoo of an eye on his left ankle. He lives in a mansion, although it is black, dark, and scary, much like himself. This frightening house gives viewers an added look into the personality of Count Olaf. Olaf is a villainous character, yet Neil Patrick Harris does him justice, and ultimately steals the show. He keeps viewers wanting more, no matter how gruesome and dastardly his acts.
Violet Baudelaire, played by Malina Weissman, is also portrayed well. For only being thirteen years old, the actress is wise beyond her years and shows the maturity Violet needs to have in watching over her younger siblings.
Klaus Baudelaire, played by Louis Hynes, is another strong character. Klaus is a genius; he has an accelerated vocabulary and is constantly looking for something to read. The fifteen-year-old actor depicts Klaus’s maturity level perfectly and is able to give viewers an idea of what’s going on is his brain.
The last Baudelaire, Sunny, is played by Presley Smith. She is too young to talk and just makes noises that are translated with subtitles. In the book, her translations are far more complex than the ones in the show, which is one thing that has been criticized, but overall her character remains true to the book.
One specific thing the episodes have been praised for are the theme songs. Each one contains the same tune and chorus, yet the lyrics are changed to tell viewers of the misfortune that has occurred in the previous episode. In addition to this, there are a few songs that help move the plot along, which is also highly entertaining.
The series has been a hit all over the world even though it was not advertised for some time. Many raved that the depiction of the loved book series turned out even better the second time around.
The series is not only true to the books when it comes to the plot, but it is brought to life in a way that could not be done just by reading the books.
The series is filled with stunning graphics that make the stories really come to life and capture the viewer’s imagination. Though the descriptions in the book give readers an understanding of what the setting was like, the graphics in the episodes surpass what anyone could even imagine.
As mentioned before, the few songs added give it a theatrical vibe that could not be done just by reading.
Additionally, the humor in the dialogue is another element that deserves praise. The script mentions the internet and online shopping, as well as cell phones, so the series relates to modern times. This is another addition to the production that makes it relatable to people of all ages. Children will understand the references to technology, and the dry humor can appeal to older generations, making the series friendly to all ages.
A Netflix original has once again been met with overwhelming success, and for good reason. There is a captivating storyline behind each episode that was not given in the first adaptation. There is one thing that will always remain, and that is the mystery. The young yet wise children continue to find clues that may connect them to the history of their parents. They stick by each other in times of peril and tragedy.
Viewers will now have to wait for the next season, which is said to air in January of 2018.