Siah Saturday

Back to Article
Back to Article

Siah Saturday

Victoria Brenchak, Staff Writer

Middletown’s own Jordan Perry, better known as Siah, has made a name for himself through his music, in which he writes, sings, and produces. He graduated this year with the class of 2017, and now attends the University of Hartford. Recently, he filmed a music video for one of his most popular songs, Siah Shuffle. This music video incorporated Perry’s Middletown roots, by using his closest friends as the guest stars of the video, and even featuring appearances from MHS students. When asked why Perry decided to incorporate kids from Middletown, he says, “I just feel like I have a lot of support in the city, and I wanted to show what a beautiful place Middletown is.”
The video starts with Perry and his friends in his room, where he plays them his song, Siah Shuffle, and then claims he thinks he has a hit. They then tour the city of Middletown, hitting popular spots such as Foss Hill at Wesleyan and a bridge over the Connecticut River. Overall, the video was very entertaining to watch. The way it incorporates his home and the people he grew up with, gives it a very comfortable feel, while still having a fun point of view as well. The concept of showing where Perry came from, is a fascinating idea itself. Aside from featuring Middletown kids, the video was edited and filmed by MHS Senior, Carson Fitzner. When asked what it was like to film this video, Fitzner says “It was just really great to get the whole community together and work with my friends to create something awesome.
Along with Fitzner, a few different MHS students and alumni helped to produce and edit this video, including Dani Flores and Jay Nanfito, both class of 2017 alums. “Once I got Dani, Carson, and Jay on board, we met up, discussed it, and started filming a week later.” According to Perry, many late nights were spent producing this video, and making sure it was perfect for the big release date. “We spent about four days filming. We’d film during the day and edit at night, until like 3 am.” Before moving onto the next part of the shoot Perry and the whole team made sure to agree on their vision.
Fitzner described the filming and editing process as a trial and error, and said everyone on the team would get together to talk about the scenes they had filmed that day to discuss their ideas for the footage.The filming itself took place over a few weeks. “Some people would go off and film one day and then another group would go out and film another day,” says Fitzner. The whole team had the perfect vision for this video, and weren’t satisfied until it was how they wanted it, even if that meant delaying when it would be released. “Once it was done, its release got delayed an extra week because we were having scheduling issues meeting up to make sure the final product was exactly what I wanted.” says Perry.
All the late nights obviously paid off, because with almost three thousand views on YouTube, this music video is the gateway to Perry’s career. This isn’t the first near-fame experience Siah has had. He put on a show, ‘Siah Saturday’ over the summer, and even filmed another music video to his song, “Roses,” which was released earlier this year in May.
This is just the beginning of Siah’s exceptional music career. “I have a few more videos in the works right now that will incorporate more of Middletown.” says Perry, and he for sure has a large group of people from his hometown waiting to see what comes next.

• Siah Saturday

Entertainment

70th annual Primetime Emmys excite once more

• Siah Saturday

Entertainment

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before brings more Asian representation to Netflix

• Siah Saturday

Entertainment

Influencial singer Aretha Franklin dies at age 76

• Siah Saturday

Entertainment

Crazy Rich Asians doesn’t impress as revamped Cinderella

• Entertainment

Mozzicato’s changes the Cannoli game in Middletown

• Siah Saturday

Entertainment

The final album of Mac Miller foreshadows the death of a legend

• Siah Saturday

Entertainment

Disenchantment matches up with Futurama

• Siah Saturday

Entertainment

The Nun disappoints hopeful horror fans

• Siah Saturday

Entertainment

The End of the F***ing World provides a new take on coming of age stories

• Siah Saturday

Entertainment

Audiences enchanted by The Greatest Showman

Siah Saturday