IT Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

IT Review

Santiago Gonzalez, Staff Writer

After a 27 year long slumber, chaos ensues as Pennywise the Dancing Clown returns to the town of Derry in an astonishing feat. Following in the footsteps of the classic 1990’s mini-series and even more classic novel written by Stephen King. Today’s It manages to make you forget about the past attempt to bring the novel to life and creates an overall great experience for audiences to enjoy.
At the time the movie takes place, the town of Derry seems to be terrorized by an evil force responsible for the vanishing of countless children in the span of a few months. Of course, the death rate in the town of Derry, Maine happens to be twice the national average.
The film It follows the story of Billy Denbrough after he loses his little brother, Georgie. Months after the loss, Billy finds his world falling apart when his parents give up hope in finding him and start to acknowledge that Georgie is probably dead. He’s not alone considering he will always have his loyal friends by his side: Richie, Eddie, and Stanley. The story progresses as a team of charismatic outcasts known as the Losers Club forms leading to an epic fight with Pennywise; an extremely unsettling shape-shifting ancient being who’s at fault for all the missing children.
In the midst of the town’s havoc, the group searches for Billy’s younger brother, and along the way discover even more friends. Beverly, Ben, and Mike all coincidentally end up as new additions to the Losers Club. As they start to get to know each other they all realize that their stories relate as they have all been harassed by an evil clown.
This sends them on a harrowing, heart wrenching, and extremely unsettling adventure to defeat the evil being, Pennywise, and restore peace and order to the town of Derry.
The plot of the film, while at some points redundant, perseveres due to the amazing performances from the actors. The beginning sewer scene is the scariest of them all. This opening scene sets the tone for the rest of the gory movie. However, as the story continues, the scares become more redundant and lose the unsettling, true fright that the opening sewer scene had. The true sense of danger is instilled by the scenes in which Pennywise stands menacingly close to the children in a casual manner.
Other than the flaws of the scares, the plot flies in every other aspect. The film is well formatted and not confusing while handling the story of over seven children. Most scenes consistently show the bond of the children’s group which made the movie great. They were there for each other throughout the twists and turns. Never once giving up on each other. This helps balance out the terrifying aspect of It with a heartwarming storyline.
The character of Pennywise is surprisingly original and maniacal. Bill Skarsgard makes the character more realistic and human like than previous attempts, such as the 1990 mini-series. Pennywise is so desperate to feed on these kids and is extremely frustrated at every twist and turn as the group seems to outsmart him. This makes Pennywise seem insane and desperate. The human qualities that he possesses make him an amazingly haunting villain. Not only that, but Pennywise performs an excellent dance towards the end that makes you wonder what Pennywise truly is and how he became this killer clown. Considering this, developing an extreme fear of clowns is not surprising after such a performance.
While all the children are amazing, the standouts are Richie and Eddie. Their comedic and charismatic personalities make them very memorable compared to other characters. Beverly and Billy’s romance throughout also makes a great romantic addition to the film.
Overall, the film is absolutely amazing and recommended to all. It perfectly blends gore, comedy, horror, friendship, and love into one great movie. The tense music score and beautiful scenery make for a great backdrop to these horrible events. The music sets the tone with an eerie vibe as we see an overview of the town and the beautiful scenery of quarries, wooded areas, and older buildings.
It’s iconic moments and dynamic characters make it a film to remember. The terrifying portrayal of Pennywise and comradery among young friends are sure to make It a classic.
… Until Chapter Two, we must wait.

• IT Review

Entertainment

New York Fashion Week highlights new trends

• IT Review

Entertainment

The Jonas Brothers drop instant hit “Sucker” and return to the charts

• IT Review

Entertainment

Billie Eilish is a rising star in today’s music industry

• IT Review

Entertainment

91st Oscars awards deserving recipients

• IT Review

Entertainment

Alita: Battle Angel is not the epic sci-fi action film you’re looking for

• IT Review

Entertainment

Birdbox sparks controversy

• IT Review

Entertainment

Aquaman mirrors standard superhero movies

• IT Review

Entertainment

XXXTENTATION’s posthumous album disappoints

• IT Review

Entertainment

Bohemian Rhapsody sweeps Golden Globes, surprising fans

• IT Review

Entertainment

Mary Poppins Returns lets down hopefuls

IT Review