Rick and Morty

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rick and Morty

Chris Dean, Staff Writer

“Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, we’re all going to die. Come watch TV.” -Morty
Rick and Morty is a Back to the Future parody earning appraisal from all over the country. Its cynicism, phenomenal characters, and well thought out plot attracts thousands of viewers. Of course, some of its juvenile jokes and obnoxious characters have unfortunately turned people away from this gem of a show.
Rick and Morty’s most attractive feature is its plot. At first it seems like any typical inappropriate animated show like Family Guy or American Dad. While these TV shows have quality content, Rick and Morty brings a whole new intellectual side. It is more than just satire, it has a deeper storyline that is actually interesting. Rick and Morty brings a whole new perspective to interdimensional space travel.
Of course one half of the duo “Rick and Morty” is Rick. He is not the protagonist of this show, he is more of a mercenary. Rick is an alcoholic who takes what he pleases wherever he goes and from whomever, especially his family. He uses Morty, for his own gain with little regard for what these dangerous and trying adventures do to him. This may seem like a negative aspect to this show, but Rick’s character brings some real life themes to the show. Themes you would never expect to have in a cartoon. In reality, families every day deal with an alcoholic family member and Rick and Morty captures how it affects every family member.
Besides the numerous themes of a struggling family, there is also deep character development for every single character. Rick, who starts out as an uncaring sociopath, begins to show as the episodes go on why he is an alcoholic in the first place. Another character who has amazing development is Rick’s granddaughter Summer. When the show starts Summer is a typical teenage girl with a massive attitude. She seems to be uncaring when it comes to her family but when it begins to become jeopardized she is the one most affected by it and the most willing to believe and make an effort to save it. It’s fascinating to watch the depth that a seemingly silly cartoon has.
On a lighter note, the biggest draw to Rick and Morty is the humor. Rick’s satire and cynicism makes the show a comedy and not a drama. The show is quite simply hilarious from the little details like Rick’s catchphrase, “wubba lubba dub dub” which translates to “I am in great pain, please help”, to the way all the characters interact and blend with each other. Every relationship between characters has its own comical, yet cynical twist.
Although Rick and Morty is a popular up and coming show right now, it still has some flaws. One flaw is the constant burping of Rick. Yes, he’s an alcoholic and yes, he is probably drunk, but the incessant burping in every sentence is unnecessary. Another character flaw is the ridiculous catchphrases like “get shwifty” or “AIDS!” The only catchphrase that is acceptable is “wubba lubba dub dub” and only because of its hidden meaning that helps add to Rick’s character. There are some of his catchphrases that are unquotable simply because they are so inappropriate.
Overall, Rick and Morty is a quality show for people who enjoy the occasional inappropriate joke and a whole lot of cynicism. This special brand of comedy can be caught on Adult Swim with new episodes coming soon.

• Rick and Morty

Entertainment

70th annual Primetime Emmys excite once more

• Rick and Morty

Entertainment

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before brings more Asian representation to Netflix

• Rick and Morty

Entertainment

Influencial singer Aretha Franklin dies at age 76

• Rick and Morty

Entertainment

Crazy Rich Asians doesn’t impress as revamped Cinderella

• Entertainment

Mozzicato’s changes the Cannoli game in Middletown

• Rick and Morty

Entertainment

The final album of Mac Miller foreshadows the death of a legend

• Rick and Morty

Entertainment

Disenchantment matches up with Futurama

• Rick and Morty

Entertainment

The Nun disappoints hopeful horror fans

• Rick and Morty

Entertainment

The End of the F***ing World provides a new take on coming of age stories

• Rick and Morty

Entertainment

Audiences enchanted by The Greatest Showman

Rick and Morty