Rachel Wu, pictured on the right, and Nick Young, pictured on the left, are seen posing in front of items that represent themselves. They are the two leads in Crazy Rich Asians and fall in love.

Photo courtesy of www.bbc.com

Crazy Rich Asians doesn’t impress as revamped Cinderella

December 9, 2018

Crazy Rich Asians, while a funny and light-hearted film, is in essence, a Cinderella story. We have all seen Cinderella and its many movie adaptations and this movie was no different.

A handsome, young man falls in love with a lower class woman and problems arise. However, if this is the type of movie you’re into, be aware that the story doesn’t always stay on script.
The female lead, Rachel Chu, played by Constance Wu, is able to provide for herself. She is a college professor at Columbia University teaching economics.

Another difference in this revamp of Cinderella, is that Rachel doesn’t seem to know of Nick Young’s family.

He is from a powerful bloodline in Singapore who gained their wealth by owning and selling expensive real estate.

While this entertaining romcom is recycled at heart, there are some shining moments. A major one is that Rachel isn’t the type of character to back down for anyone. It is refreshing to see such a strong female lead portrayed so positively.

Another plus is the priceless phrases Rachel’s friend, Goh Peik Lin makes. Her lightheartedness towards Rachel’s situation adds some comedic relief towards otherwise serious moments.

However, like every film, there were some plot holes. For example, Nick Young’s family was incredibly affluent. If Rachel was an economics professor, wouldn’t she know all the major families in the world, including Nick’s? Lets say she didn’t know their faces, shouldn’t she have connected the dots about Nick’s last name and where it came from? They were dating for over a year. The screenplay writers should have definitely touched on Rachel’s unknowingness during the film.

This shouldn’t stop you from seeing this enjoyable movie. So grab your friends and a big bowl of popcorn because this is one romcom you won’t want to miss!

Blue Prints • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in