Back to Article
Back to Article

Influencial singer Aretha Franklin dies at age 76

Aretha Franklin is picured during her golden years under a shroud of angelic light and a goddess like hood. She died surrounded by loved ones at the age of 76 after suffering from pancreatic cancer. Her friends, family, and fans were devastated.

Photo courtesy of www.slate.com

Photo courtesy of www.slate.com

Photo courtesy of www.slate.com

December 8, 2018

The music of singer Aretha Franklin has influenced and shaped soul and jazz music and culture. She lived her dream and managed to touch millions with her music. Franklin began her career at age 18 and continued until her dying days at age 76.

The singer was a role model to many other iconic artists, like Whitney Houston, Natalie Cole, Ariana Grande, and Jennifer Hudson. She influenced their personal sounds in their genre of music.

Franklin fell ill at her home in Detroit on August 13. She was admitted into hospice where she was surrounded by loved ones. Franklin passed away on the August 16 in her home from pancreatic cancer. This affected music lovers around the world. As the sad news spread, the topic began trending all over social media with people mourning her death. Thousands of fans, family, and friends were devastated.

At Franklin’s funeral in her hometown of Detroit there was a controversial issue when the pastor gave an offensive black on black crime speech as Aretha Franklin’s eulogy. The pastor said, “Black lives must not matter until black people start respecting black lives and stop killing ourselves, black lives can never matter,” and criticized black families by saying “there are not fathers at home no more” as a part of the star’s eulogy. After this “distasteful” speech Stevie Wonder spoke up and said “we need to make love great again because black lives do matter, because all lives do matter.”

The family was disgusted by this and claims that the pastor did not eulogize Aretha properly. The speech was extremely “offensive and distasteful” according to the family of Aretha Franklin. “Rev. Jasper Williams spent more than 50 minutes speaking and at no time did he properly eulogize her,” said her nephew. The family chose this pastor to eulogize Franklin’s funeral because he eulogized others in the family such as C.L Franklin, Erma Franklin and Cecil Franklin.’’

The family hopes to see an apology from the pastor. We will continue to remember the vocal icon for her music and the way she changed jazz and soul music culture.

Blue Prints • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in