Back to Article
Back to Article

70th annual Primetime Emmys excite once more

Colin Jost, pictured on the left, and Michael Che, pictured on the right, left SNL’s Weekend Update to host this year’s Primetime Emmys.

Photo courtesy of www.latimes.com

Photo courtesy of www.latimes.com

Photo courtesy of www.latimes.com

December 8, 2018

The 70th annual Primetime Emmys aired live on NBC, Monday, September 17.

Hosts Colin Jost and Michael Che started off the evening with an open monologue which focused on diversity leading into the nominations.

HBO with 29 nominations, including shows such as Game of Thrones, and Insecure, vied with Netflix with 37 nominees including, big time shows such as Stranger Things, and Black Mirror.

HBO ended up receiving the top honor Outstanding Drama Series for their big time show Game of Thrones.

While Netflix and HBO competed, Amazon’s series, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, won five different categories. Amy Sherman, the creator of the series was presented with writing and directing awards, and the series actors Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Borstein, who play Midge Maisel and Susie Myerson, respectively were awarded for their acting.

Amazon had dominated the evening winning four of the first five awards handed out.

To our surprise HBO’s show Game of Thrones had won the top honor prize of the evening even with the one award presented to Peter Dinklage for Outstanding Supporting Actor in Drama Series prior to this.

Netflix on the other hand had taken home numerous awards such as the many acting awards. Jeff Daniels and Merritt Wever for their acting in Scott Frank Western, Godless, Regina King acknowledged for her performance in Seven Seconds the series, Crown winning two awards for one for lead acting and another for directing.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story ended up receiving several awards along with The Americans.

Henry Winkler received a standing ovation for his wise speech about patience and persistence after having been awarded for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series.

Glenn Weis gave an acceptance speech prior to his proposal to “Mrs. Maisel”, which indeed concluded with the answer we were all hoping for. (Yes!) For the best reality-competition program, RuPaul’s Drag Race stole the spotlight. As a wonderful ending to the evening, Yvonne Strahovski announced on the red carpet that she will be having a boy, after her announcing being pregnant back in May.

Blue Prints • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in