Clue kept audiences on the edge of their seats

Photo courtesy of www.allevents.in

The play, Clue, which was put on by the school’s drama club this fall, deserved to be seen. It kept the audience engaged from the very first to the very last line.

Upon first look, the performance seemed to be just another murder mystery, but in reality held so much more subtle detail than that. With a cast of delightfully unique and compelling characters, witty commentary, and a plot that left you questioning everything you see and hear, Clue is a show like no other.

When the characters first arrived to the scene, they were greeted by Wadsworth, the butler, played by Dan Wisse, a sophomore, and taken to the library. These characters included Colonel Mustard, played by Noah Ouimet, a senior, Mrs. White, played by Jada Fong, a junior, Mrs. Peacock, played by Jade Crockett, a junior, Miss Scarlett played by Sam Crowley, a freshmen, Professor Plum played by Logan Sorenson, a senior, and Mrs. Green, played by Elizabeth Berry, a sophomore. While in the library, all six guests meet each other and through the course of the night, it is revealed that the host, Mrs. Boddy, played by Mayland Pettie, a senior, is indeed the one blackmailing them. Later they find out that Mrs. Boddy had been murdered. All six guests spent the rest of the night trying to figure out who did it. Along the way, more and more is revealed about each character to the point where they no longer even seem like the same characters.

This added to the whole ambience of mystery and suspense, which was established at the beginning of the play perfectly by the butler, the maid, played by Chloe LaCroix, a freshman, and the cook, played by Mirac Tomak, a senior.

Another piece of the puzzle that helped supply the engaging atmosphere was the excellently made set. It offered four separate room sections on the stage and it was obvious that a lot of detail went into creating it. Each section was put together conscientiously, with functional as well as picturesque designs. The one thing that bothered me, however, was that, at some points, you could see the actors walking in between the set walls and it was distracting me from what was happening center stage.

However, it was impossible to miss the bond between the cast members. During the entirety of the show, they seemed very comfortable and relaxed around each other on stage. Crowley, who played Miss Scarlett said, “It was a ton of fun, and I had a great time having a lead, and the upperclassmen took me in as one of their own. We’re a family now.”

All of the actors were noteworthy and did a fantastic job, but actors Wisse, the butler Wadsworth, and Fong, Mrs. White, stood out in particular. Their roles impacted me the most because I felt like they became their characters the most. Wadsworth’s one liners added some much needed comedic relief to the otherwise serious atmosphere, while, Mrs. White’s remarks broke the fourth wall at just the right time and pulled you in closer, making you want to hear more.

The costumes also added another element to each of the characters. I especially liked Crockett’s Mrs. Peacock outfit. The stereotypical blue, floral church outfit complete with a matching hat made her stand out among the rest. It complemented her character perfectly, adding another dimension to her personality.

Overall, I think the play was very good. The next production, Urinetown, will have a hard time beating this production.

• Clue kept audiences on the edge of their seats

Entertainment

Venom surprises after poor critic ratings

Entertainment

Big Mouth season two is even better than the first

Entertainment

Apocalypse brings American Horror Story back from the dead

Entertainment

Black Ops 4 brings exciting new mode

Entertainment

A Star Is Born will bring tears to your eyes

Entertainment

70th annual Primetime Emmys excite once more

Entertainment

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before brings more Asian representation to Netflix

Entertainment

Influencial singer Aretha Franklin dies at age 76

Entertainment

Crazy Rich Asians doesn’t impress as revamped Cinderella

Entertainment

Mozzicato’s changes the Cannoli game in Middletown