Filed under Fall, Photography, Sports

Fall crew performs well in first race of the year

As the fall season starts, the crew team looks forward to another successful season.

The team can be found practicing on the Connecticut River, Monday through Saturday for three to four hours a day. Team members are known to put all of their effort towards the betterment of the team and this hard work is paying off.

Captain Tucker Resor, the current holder of the schools 2K record, said the team hopes to improve their standings at the Head of the Charles from last year, specifically aiming to land in the top 50% of participants. The team already has three approved entries into the Head of the Charles– a varsity girls eight and four, and a varsity boys eight. The Head of Charles is one of the largest races in the world.

Head Crew Coach, Wendy Sheil, said the team has a “Large group of novice rowers who are eager to learn,” and that the returning freshmen have also seen a lot of improvement and will be fresh talent to the team as sophomores this year.

They had the first race of their season on Saturday, September 29, at the Head of the Riverfront in Hartford. The athletes had a long day of racing, leaving the boathouse at 6:45 AM and returning at 7:30 PM.

Captain Savannah Ngo said, “We beat a bunch of teams that we see at states, so we’re feeling good about where we stand.”

The Head of the Riverfront is a race that consists of rowing clubs and public school teams. Typically the club teams are more experienced and recruit rowers from all over the area. This selective process allows club teams to field boats full of high-level rowers. Sheil was very happy with the team’s performance because the team performed very well against the teams in their conference, beating all but a few public teams. Girls first and second varsity placed 18 out of 25 and 25 out of 31, respectively. While boys varsity one and two finished 26 out of 33 and 39 out of 41.