Volleyball looks to improve on last season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Jada Labissionere serves in Middltown’s first home game of the year. This is her second year playing for the team.

Photo by Jacob Latronica

Photo by Jacob Latronica

Photo by Jacob Latronica

The girl’s volleyball team is a group of hard-working girls who aspire to be great in the future.

They started off the season with a loss to Maloney High School with the following scores: Freshman 2-0, JV 2-1, and Varsity 3-0. The girls will be using this loss as fuel to work harder every day.

Each year the team strives to do better than they did the previous season. Last season the team finished with a record of —. The girls are using this disappointing season as motivation for the rest of this year.

The volleyball team has 18 games per season and play in a difficult division. About 16 of the 18 teams that they face are competitive, however, Coach Kelvin Jones hopes to rebuild this year since the 2017 team had a record of 2-16.

Jones said, “Last year we had a bunch of injuries and illnesses so the freshmen coach had to run all three teams and this was very hard for the team.”

This year Jones has a full staff and is ready to come back and win. Alongside him is freshman Coach Tamiya King, and JV coach Leanna Velez.

Team captains Carley Gessaro and Luz Rivera are working hard to keep the team sharp and focused.

Gessaro said, “I think Grace Derita and Kaiti Newman are doing a great job and Ashlee Puma has stepped up a lot since returning.”

The team’s aspirations are to make the CIAC tournament this year, as well as becoming one of the top 16 teams to qualify for the CCC tournament later this season.

This year, there are four seniors on the team and all have the expectation to help out and be leaders like the seniors prior to them.

The team is looking to string together some wins and get back on track in their conference. They currently have a record of 2-10, but with some hard work, they can still qualify for the tournament. The girls played strong games against Weaver and Bulkeley, coming out the other side of both games with a win.

Gessaro said, “We have a lot of talent, but we are having trouble putting it all together in the games.”