Filed under Fall, Photography, Sports

Cross country continues to run over their competition

Girls and boys cross country are looking for another competitive season. After a great season in 2017, they are looking to come back even better than last year.

The girls cross country coach, Jennifer Price has goals for this season that will lead the team to success. She said, “Our goals are to remain competitive within our CCC South division. We have six returning members of the varsity team, so we are looking for one more to step up and claim the top seven spot. We have been lucky enough to have quite a few new girls join the team this year, including seven freshmen, two new sophomores and one new junior.”

Price also talks about her gifted runners that will guide the team throughout the season. She said, “Ariana Monarca had an incredibly successful season last fall. She was All-Conference, All-State twice and qualified for the New England Championships… Nicole Nenninger is our second runner and I would love for her to have a breakthrough season. She has the potential to not only repeat as All-Conference but to make a run at All-State as well.”

The team captains, Mia Kriksciun and Kaylee Morosky, lead the girls this season. They discuss goals and what they plan to do for the future. Morosky said, “I want the team to finish our regular season with a winning record. I know that the team has been working extremely hard and can definitely reach these goals if we all put our minds to it.” In the future, Morosky plans to major in pharmacy or biology, as well as take part in a running club in college.

As for Kriksciun, she has higher expectations for the girls. “This season, we want to be undefeated in all of our dual meets and hopefully our conference.” Kriksciun does not plan to run for a team in college but wants to join a running club as well.

The boys have the potential for states as well. Coach Rob Weston, a former cross country runner from Middletown High and Central Connecticut State University, will facilitate the boy’s progress throughout the season in order for them to reach states. Captains Matt Lecky and Konstantin Ditc lead the boys with pride and want to make their last year their most successful year.

Ditc comments on the team’s success last fall, “Last season was pretty great, we finished first in the CCC South and sixth in the CCC overall. We had Matt Lecky… go to the State Open for the first time in 19 years from MHS.”

Lecky’s success stems from his middle school days. Ever since he was encouraged to run by his father, he has improved tremendously. He said, “In middle school, my dad encouraged me to try cross country, so I decided to sign up and I ended up really loving it. I have been running ever since. I like running because I can measure my progress and see myself improving. It’s a great feeling to look back on my race times from earlier in the season and see them getting faster and faster.”

With the help of Weston and the leadership of Lecky and Ditc, it looks to be a successful season. As for the girls, their relationships with the team could encourage even the youngest to become leaders. With Price’s motivation, and the captain’s desire to achieve conference or even a state title, their season looks like it’ll be a strong one.