Filed under Fall, Photography, Sports

Girls swim gains members

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls swim gains members

Girls swim members are pictured above competing at a home scrimmage. The team this year is younger and bigger than the team has been in recent years past.

Photo by David Sands

Photo by David Sands

Photo by David Sands

As the fall season rolls in again, the girls swim and dive team has started competing. This fall sport consists of both swimmers and divers trying to earn points for their team through speed and form.

The team is led by Coach Trevor Charles, who has been coaching the girls swimming and diving team for 15 years. Their captains this year are juniors Kamila Ciebielski and Monica Flores.

Charles said he plans on “defending the CCC South Conference title.”

The girl’s team fought hard and won last year. This goal has a new challenge this year since many of the best swimmers on the team were seniors and have since then moved on, leaving the team heavy with underclassmen and lacking in more experienced swimmers.

The loss of seniors left many of the athletes on the team uncertain about how they will perform this year.

This is one of the biggest girls swim teams so far though and while Coach Charles describes losing the seniors as a “major loss”, he believes that the team will perform well nonetheless. This “younger and bigger” team as described by Coach Charles has a lofty goal set out for them. They not only need to improve and defend the title they worked hard for last year but must do it without some of the key members who helped achieve it last year. Only time will tell if they can meet these goals.

Girls swim gains members