Crew’s Standout Athlete: Tucker Resor

Senior captain, Tucker Resor had a great impact on the 2018 fall rowing season. Resor is a standout athlete on the Middletown Crew team who plans on advancing his rowing career into college.

The Crew team had an eventful 2018 fall season. The team raced in three competitive races this fall, including the Head of the Riverfront and the Head of the Fish. Additionally, select boats raced at the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, Massachusetts, which is one of the largest regattas in the world.

Crew members were very happy with their times and performance throughout the season. Although there are always improvements to be made, the team is excited to see what results they can do in the spring, which is the more competitive season.

Resor is a four-year member of the crew team and began his rowing career when he entered high school. He remembers being pushed by a prior second varsity coach, Will Sculley, as a freshman. Resor said, “He really believed in me and I think that he is the one who really got me invested in working and putting my all into it.”

He continues to row because of the strong connection he builds with his teammates and the strong feeling of support from his boat. Crew has built trust and friendships between Resor and other rowers. He enjoys that he gets the chance to experience rowing in unity with the rest of the boat. He thanks his team for always having his back.

Resor said, “There have been times when things out of my control have brought me down, but I always know that everyone in my boat is still there for me.” He feels that when he needs it, rowing can be the perfect way to clear his mind.

Staying fit year-round is crucial to a sport like crew. Resor follows through with the workout packet he receives from his coach. He also values the importance of trying to keep a healthy diet and sleep schedule. When the team isn’t on the water, they do a variety of exercises such as weightlifting, cardio, erg testing, and body circuits.

As a captain, he has the responsibility of being a leader. Resor refuses to let his teammates down. He constantly pushes himself and others to meet maximum potential. Resor acknowledges the importance of the other eight people in his boat and knows everyone has their part which they must uphold in order for the team to succeed.

He said, “I don’t want to be the person that makes the boat slower, I have to do well for my teammates and myself.”

He also has a friendly rivalry with another senior captain, Dominic Parciasepe, who is another key rower on the team. The competitiveness between the two each push the other to become better rowers. Although it is only friendly competition, Resor and Parciasepe are constant rivals on erg tests, also known as a ‘rowing machine’, a device that can be used to measure a rower’s performance and ability. However, during races, they are working together for their boat to have the quickest race times.

Resor is planning to row at Wesleyan University next year. He has been heavily encouraged to apply there and has talked with multiple Wesleyan crew coaches. Resor is impressed with the D3 crew program that Wesleyan offers. He feels it would be a great fit and would love to be apart of the program in his upcoming college career.

He thinks he will most likely major in Humanities. He added, “I plan on attending a liberal arts college, be that Wesleyan or somewhere else.”

When Tucker isn’t rowing, he appreciates spending time in the outdoors. He enjoys backpacking and hiking in his free time.

Tucker Resor’s last crew season, as a Blue Dragon, will begin this spring. He and the team hope to earn a medal at states in the 2019 spring season.

Crew’s Standout Athlete: Tucker Resor