What Sonya Mind?: Turn complaints into change

Sonya Hadley, Editor-in-Chief

Sonya Hadley
Editor-in-Chief

Student voice is vital in the process of transformation at the school, but that also means that students need to step up and use their voices.

The administration at the school has done its best to ensure that students have been at the forefront of the changes being made so far and that every person who wanted to give input has been given the opportunity to.

Students have led forums, designed protests, championed initiatives, had input on decisions, and presented at trainings, all of which has positively impacted the school in the past few years.

This openness to dialogue is vital to the shaping of a fully functioning school. After all, the goal of the educational system is to teach and prepare young people to take on their lives as adults, solve issues, and be the leaders of tomorrow, so it is important that we have the opportunity to be a part of shaping our learning environment to be most beneficial to us. No one knows where the school system succeeds and fails better than those who experience it every day — those who will be directly benefited or harmed by it.

When students have stepped up to lead projects and to express their voices, talk to administration, sit in on meetings, and give feedback on ideas and projects, for the most part, teachers, administration, and even local government officials, have been readily there to listen. However, not many students actually take advantage of this opportunity.

In the world, whenever something new or different is taken on, there is naturally always push back. It is human nature to be unsure about what we don’t know, and this skepticism can be productive when it pushes towards improvement and growth.

While, feedback and revision is an important part of change, there is an important line between being constructive and destructive. Many of the people that I hear talking negatively about the changes being made at the high school have not taken the time to look into why the change has been made or find people who could make a change about it. Instead they let their complaints fall on the ears of people with no direct link to change. While many questions and concerns of the dissenting parties have solid foundation, they need to express them to the right people.

Adults in our community are looking to help us succeed, but they need to hear from us what we need.

Communication is a two-way street. Those who are unhappy with the decisions being made should channel that energy into making a difference and learning about the issues.

You don’t need to agree with what’s happening to get involved, but you do have to use your opinion constructively.

Instead of throwing rocks from the outside, come in and pull up a chair at the conversation.

Send an email, talk to an administrator in the hallway, write an opinion piece, come to a meeting. Use your voice productively.