Robotics Team proves successful at competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Kyle Dale, Jared Lyding, and Simon Getter of the 9909C Robotics team compete at the Middletown VEX Robotics Competition. They came in second place in the competition and will be competing in the Regional Competition on March 2-3.

Photo curtosy of Middletown Public Schools Website

Gabriella Cafarelli, Staff Writer

The school offers a wide variety of clubs and sports for students to participate in, and one of the most competitive clubs is also one of the seemingly least recognized. Robotics, led by Robotics teacher Samuel Faulkenberry, is a class and club for tech-savvy students who not only learn to work with hands-on technology, but also compete with other Robotics teams across the nation.

Students may begin taking a Robotics class at any grade; some students begin their freshman year, others as upperclassmen. In the first class, Robotics I, students learn how to build and program their robots and then progress over the course of their high school years.

Any member of the Robotics team may compete, but this is not mandatory. Those who do choose to compete usually start in their second year of Robotics. For example, Senior Jared Lyding has been competing for three years and has taken the Robotics and Engineering class for all four years of his high school career. “It’s a great program,” said Lyding, “We have learned so much over the past four years, especially in Robotics I.”

This year’s teams were filled with success. Representing Robot 9909A, seniors Samuel Getek, Jacob Hartman, Dominic Parcisepe, Anthony DiMauro, and Maamle Adjoka-Nartey, competed well but unfortunately did not make it to the round of top 16 teams. With an amazing performance at the Middletown VEX Robotics Competition, Robot 9909C, led by seniors Kyle Dale, Simon Getter, Ian Corvo, Jared Lyding and junior Jason Connelly, successfully made it to the final round of the competition and came in second place. They secured a spot in the Regional Competition, which will take place on March 2-3.

The competition includes a skills portion and tournament portion. The skills segment of the competition includes an optional solo aspect for each robot. Students have three tries to score as many points as possible, and whichever team earns the most points overall wins. For the tournament, it is a two-on two-competition, and the paired teams are randomly assigned. The goal is to use the robot created by the team to place as many game pieces onto whatever obstacle is assigned. For a comparison, senior Samuel Getek said, “A good metaphor for skills vs. tournament is like track and field.”

Senior Simon Getter explained, “One section is the code, which is made by the team, running the robot. Then, it is the driver who controls it. The total time for the match is a minute and 30 seconds.” Just a minute and 30 seconds will represent a team’s entire year of hard work. These students must work extremely hard for countless hours to be prepared for such a competition.

Overall, the school’s Robotics team is highly accomplished and intelligent. There is no doubt that they will continue to bring home more victories and keep representing the school with pride.