Minority Student Coalition BlueOut attempts to unify school

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maamle Adjoka-Nartey, senior president of Minority Student Coalition, leads a meeting to discuss the club’s plans for the future. MSC sponsored a BlueOut at the school on January, 22 to bring the school community together against racism.

Photo by Jade Levy

Photo by Jade Levy

Photo by Jade Levy

Maamle Adjoka-Nartey, Features Editor

Last year, on Friday, January 12, 2018, a student triggered discomfort and anger throughout the Middletown community when he began the morning by roaming around the school parking lot with a Confederate flag. Many students and faculty members alike were shocked and distraught by the behavior of this student.

The then recently elected school superintendent, Dr. Michael Conner, saw to it that the following Tuesday, he would meet with student leaders. That Tuesday, January 16, 2018, members of the Minority Student Coalition organized a ‘BlackOut’, in which all students were to wear black to stand against racism. A peaceful protest was also held in the school cafeteria, where students spoke their minds about different topics, such as racism, unity, and equality.

The individual’s act of recklessness, ironically, brought the school together in a way like never before, and got people to actually speak with each other about racism, something that is not casually spoken about in school.

The following Thursday, Precious Price, the director/community organizer for the Middletown Racial Justice Coalition, a group that works to identify, interrupt, and dismantle institutional and systemic racism in Middletown through community-led action and organizing, attended a Minority Student Coalition meeting. Her goal was to get students to discuss and brainstorm a list of requests of what they wanted to see change within the school and curriculum to introduce opportunities to discuss race and racism.

One year later, Minority Student Coalition (MSC) has made it one of their goals that students not only have a safe space to speak their mind about anything even racially related, but also that the school remains a united front. To encourage unity within the school, on January 22, 2019, MSC organized for students and faculty to wear blue. Yalonda Hart a Minority Student Coalition Advisor said, “The idea to wear blue came because, a year ago, our school was faced with an unfortunate event, that brought division and fear to the entire school body. We wanted to recognize the courage it took for students to confront intolerance. Wearing blue was a way to show that Middletown High School is one community.”

To begin and end the day, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. quotes were read by MSC members Sonya Hadley and Jade Levy over the intercom to remind people of the importance of unity. Coincidentally, January 22 just so happened to be the National Day of Racial Healing, tying in perfectly with the motive behind the MHS Unity Day. Every year, MSC would like to commemorate the students who showed great courage during such a difficult time and encourage the school to unify. and support each other.