Lecky runs through previous records

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lecky runs through previous records

Senior Matthew Lecky is pictured running during Class L States. Lecky broke his own record in the 1600m, and records in the 3200m, 3000m, and 4x8 team.

Photo by Ethan Barker

Photo by Ethan Barker

Photo by Ethan Barker

Michael Katz, Staff Writer

Over the span of a few weeks, numerous school records in indoor track were shattered. Many led by senior Matthew Lecky, who finished the mile during the Class L States on Friday, February 8, with a time of 4:24:28, breaking his previous record of 4:31 and earning all-state honors. Matt placed second in Class L, qualifying him for State Opens on Saturday, February 16, in which he will attempt to break his own record again.

Along with his 1600m record, Lecky also broke the record in the 3200m, 3000m and was part of the record-breaking 4×8 team with times of 9:44, 8:59 and 8:32 respectively.

The 4×8 team consisted of Lecky, sophomore Sean Ahern, senior Konstantin Ditc, and senior Timothy Johnson during the Yale Track Classic on January 12.

Following in Lecky’s footsteps, Ahern broke the previous school records in the 3200m and 3000m with times of 9:54 and 9:15 respectively.

While this is Lecky’s last season in indoor track, he said he looks forward to breaking his records again in outdoor track in his last season.

This constant breaking of school records is not likely to end soon though, as Ahern already approaches Lecky’s times with two more years left ahead of him to improve and lead the team in more record-breaking seasons.