Club Corner: Dragon Watch, Environmental Club, FFA, Future Teachers, GSA, MSC, The Lair, Robotics

Dragon Watch

Currently, Dragon Watch is gearing up for their “Spring Fling,” where students will be able to pass around messages of kindness on sticky notes to spread positivity throughout the school. They are also working on an ice cream social for Safe School Ambassadors, as well as planning for next year’s training session.

Environmental Club

The Environmental Club is continuing to work on recycling issues within the school and hopes to highlight sustainable practices for Earth Day in April. They will be set up during lunch waves. Overall, the club is hoping to go beyond the recycling ethic and push to reduce the usage of plastic among students and the school community.

FFA

The FFA is preparing for spring competitions at UConn. Students are also working on creating displays for the annual open house on April 11, 2019.

Future Teachers

Future Teachers recently taught a spring-themed lesson to Middletown kindergarteners and first graders at Minds in Motion. They taught a lesson on April 6 at Russell Library to children of various ages. The students are working as ambassadors to help families in the community work with the new preschool apps for iPads and iPhones Superintendent Dr. Conner purchased.

Gay-Straight Alliance

GSA recently attended the True Colors Conference at UConn, and are currently working on finalizing plans for Diversity Day in May. They also hope to organize a float or display for the Pride Parade in June.

Minority Student Coalition

The MSC put on their second annual Black History assembly. They are currently beginning work to assist students at Keigwin who are hoping to create an MSC for the middle school. Their goal is to have the MSC extend throughout several grades. Lastly, they are preparing for their second talent show, which offers monetary prizes to the winners, which will be held in the beginning of May.

The Lair

The students of The Lair have been working hard to meet their deadlines. As of March 25 they have finished the 2018-2019 yearbook! They only have the supplement to work on in the month of April.

Robotics

The robotics team had three robots compete at the Southern New England Regional Championship in Worcester, MA on March 16 and 17. Team 9909C, made up of Jared Lyding, Kyle Dale, Simon Getter, and Jason Connelly, qualified to compete at the VEX Robotics World Championship from April 23-28 in Louisville, KY. The robotics team is also excited to announce that as of the 2019-2020 school year, the club will be registering its first all girls robotics team to compete.