91st Oscars awards deserving recipients

Back to Article
Back to Article

91st Oscars awards deserving recipients

The 91st Oscars were broadcast on Sunday, February 24, 2019. The cast of The Green Book is pictured above accepting their Oscar for
best picture.

The 91st Oscars were broadcast on Sunday, February 24, 2019. The cast of The Green Book is pictured above accepting their Oscar for best picture.

Photo courtesy of www.variety.com

Photo courtesy of www.variety.com

Photo courtesy of www.variety.com

Haillie Bakula, Staff Writer

February 24, 2019 — Widely anticipated by film enthusiasts, the 91st Oscars closed out this year’s entertainment award season. Some changes had been made to the famous award show this year, however, due to Kevin Hart’s backing out as host over a controversial comedy sketch resurfacing. This year there were no hosts, or rather, there were several. Each group of presenters had their own little bit to fill time and entertain before reading the nominees and presenting the coveted gold statuette. Some notable acts were Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Maya Rudolph, who opened the show, Jason Momoa and Helen Mirren — who unintentionally matched in their pink outfits — and unlikely comedy duo Awkwafina and John Mulaney, who presented later in the night. Other highlights of the night included Queen and Adam Lambert rocking the crowd as they opened the show with “We Will Rock You” and “We are the Champions,” and Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s stunning and poignant rendition of their original song “Shallow,” from the soundtrack of their movie A Star is Born.

Best Actor in a Leading Role

The nominees in this category remained the same throughout this award season. Rami Malek was nominated for his role of Freddie Mercury in the Queen biopic, Bohemian Rhapsody; Christian Bale was nominated for his role of Dick Cheney in the comedy-drama, Vice; Bradley Cooper was nominated for his role of Jackson Maine in the newest take of A Star is Born; Willem Dafoe was nominated for his role of Vincent Van Gogh in the drama At Eternity’s Gate; and Viggo Mortensen was nominated for his role of Tony Lip in the comedy-drama Green Book.

Rami Malek snatched this trophy, adding to the collection of awards that the big winner of the night, Bohemian Rhapsody, received.

He gave an incredibly touching speech, calling out to his girlfriend, Lucy Boynton, who happened to play Mary Austin, Freddie Mercury’s first real love and confidant in the film. He made sure to thank Queen, the producers, his wonderful castmates and crew, and Freddie, of course, before talking about how important Freddie was as a gay immigrant, who lived unapologetically himself and was able to follow his dreams against all odds. He related his own experience as an immigrant working in entertainment with similar expectations. The speech was truly one of the most touching and sincere moments of the whole night.

Shortly after this, in a post-win daze, Malek fell off the stage and was aided by paramedics. He was fine, of course, and finished out the rest of the night with his friends, the cast, and a bottle of champagne at the Governors Ball.

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Just like in the previous category, the nominees for best actress in a leading role also remained pretty consistent throughout award season. Olivia Colman was nominated for her role of Queen Anne in the comedy-drama The Favourite; Yalitza Aparicio was nominated for her role of Cleo in the most buzzed-about foreign film this season, Roma; Glenn Close was nominated for her role of Joan Castleman in the drama The Wife; Lady Gaga was nominated for her role of Ally in fan favorite film A Star is Born; and Melissa McCarthy was nominated for her role of celebrity biographer Lee Israel in the crime drama Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Olivia Colman took home the gold, just as she did at the BAFTAs, Satellite Awards, and more.

This was an incredible win, seeing how this was Colman’s first Academy Award win, beating out the likes of stars like seven-time nominee and seasoned performer Glenn Close. This win has also broken the Academy’s 68-year streak of not recognizing women’s stories as worth the biggest award.

Colman gave an incredibly emotional speech, definitely one of the biggest highlights of the night. She was incredibly sincere and genuinely funny, being sure to thank the directors, her castmates Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz, and those who helped along the way. She called out to her kids and her husband, quipping, “He’s going to cry, I’m not,” after thanking him for being with her and supporting her for so long. She even called out to Lady Gaga, just because she’s Lady Gaga. Colman detailed a kind of rags to riches story, where she dreamed of this moment during her days working as a cleaner, and now it’s finally happening. Do yourself a favor and watch the speech, and also watch The Favourite, while you’re at it; Colman definitely deserved the win.

Best Picture

This is the probably the most coveted award of the night, the same nominees battling through several awards shows just for this. The nominees were Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, BlacKkKlansman, Vice, Black Panther, Roma, The Favourite, and A Star Is Born.

A Star is Born was the fan favorite and fiercely contended with the reigning winner of this category, Bohemian Rhapsody; however, it was Green Book, a movie about an African American pianist in the 1960’s who hires a white man from the Bronx to escort and protect him around the US for his tour, that made a surprising win.

Producers Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly, and Nick Vallelonga each got to take home their own trophy and spent the rest of the night celebrating with all of the other nominees at the Governors Ball after party.

Animated Feature Film

Some incredible animated films came out in 2018. All of the nominees are definitely deserving of this honor. Among the nominees were Wes Anderson’s stunning stop-motion feature Isle of Dogs; The Incredibles 2, the long-awaited sequel to The Incredibles; the third installment in the Wreck it Ralph franchise, Ralph Breaks the Internet; Japanese drama/fantasy Mirai; and the highly anticipated Marvel masterpiece Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Spider-Verse took the win, unsurprisingly. This was probably the most buzzed-about movie on this list and the one that likely had the biggest fan following. The movie details the life of student Miles Morales and his journey of becoming Spider-Man. Through a device created by the antagonist, Kingpin, several other versions of Spider-Man from alternate universes come to Miles’ world. Together they must teach Miles how to control his powers, stop Kingpin from causing mass destruction, and find their ways back to their own universes.

The film is animated beautifully, mixing traditional comic style with clean and modern CG animation. It was an overall solid film. Definitely give it a watch if you haven’t already, and watch the rest of the nominees as well if you’re looking for some incredibly creative stories and beautiful animation.

Costume Design:

Black Panther

Music (Original Score and Song):

Lady Gaga

Overall the Oscars were a hit. The winners of each category truly deserved their wins. Keep an eye out for this year’s movies and see which end up with nominations for the 2020 Oscars!

• 91st Oscars awards deserving recipients

Entertainment

New York Fashion Week highlights new trends

Entertainment

The Jonas Brothers drop instant hit “Sucker” and return to the charts

Entertainment

Billie Eilish is a rising star in today’s music industry

Entertainment

Alita: Battle Angel is not the epic sci-fi action film you’re looking for

Entertainment

Birdbox sparks controversy

Entertainment

Aquaman mirrors standard superhero movies

Entertainment

XXXTENTATION’s posthumous album disappoints

Entertainment

Bohemian Rhapsody sweeps Golden Globes, surprising fans

Entertainment

Mary Poppins Returns lets down hopefuls

Entertainment

Brooklyn Nine-Nine picked up by NBC hours after cancellation

91st Oscars awards deserving recipients