New York Fashion Week highlights new trends

Back to Article
Back to Article

New York Fashion Week took place from February 6 to the 8 this year.  One notable trend was the use of fishnets in the designs, as pictured above.

New York Fashion Week took place from February 6 to the 8 this year. One notable trend was the use of fishnets in the designs, as pictured above.

www.accessoriesmagazine.com

www.accessoriesmagazine.com

www.accessoriesmagazine.com

Jacob Palmer, Staff Writer

This year’s New York Fashion Week was a big hit. The event is focused around designers showing off upcoming trends and clothing to the city of New York and the world. The shows took place from February 6 to the 8 and they showed off upcoming spring and summer wear for the 2019 season.

There were many participants this year from large name brands like Ralph Lauren to lesser-known brands, such as Rad Credential. Trends this year included fishnets — a “Gone fishing” look, where models wore a see-through fishing net material. This is just like what it sounds like — a fishing net, but with style. Brands like Ferragamo, Louis Vuitton, Area, and many others managed to pull off this look.

Another of the biggest trends was the “Dolled up” look. It showed off all types of dresses and suits — from those styled with feathers to actual trash bags that were intended to raise awareness about global warming.

All types of plaid products came down the runway — from hats to shoes. There was tons of plaid for men and women alike from brands such as Gucci, Ralph Lauren, Marc, and Jacobs.

One of the most eye-opening designers who went unnoticed was Naomi Johnson. She owns Noneillah Fashion for one reason, her son Deshon Johnson, also known as Sean Cos Mason, was an upcoming rap artist in 2013 whose life was stolen by a reckless bus driver operating a New Jersey Transit bus. She started this brand to raise awareness about her only child, who was killed by reckless driving. When the bus driver approached Sean on the curb, it knocked him down, then dragged him 50 to 100 feet to his death. The bus driver was not charged for murdering Sean. He walked away from Sean’s death a free man and was given back his commercial driving license the same day and went back to driving the bus. Another incident like this happened to the same bus driver again, and he got away free. Johnson’s Noneillah Collection has music notes on clothing and shoes in honor of her son. At change.org you can petition for safer buses in the city.

The Spring/Summer New York Fashion Week was another amazing event that we can look back on, but we can also look to the future for the Winter New York Fashion Week.

• New York Fashion Week highlights new trends

Entertainment

The Jonas Brothers drop instant hit “Sucker” and return to the charts

Entertainment

Billie Eilish is a rising star in today’s music industry

Entertainment

91st Oscars awards deserving recipients

Entertainment

Alita: Battle Angel is not the epic sci-fi action film you’re looking for

Entertainment

Birdbox sparks controversy

Entertainment

Aquaman mirrors standard superhero movies

Entertainment

XXXTENTATION’s posthumous album disappoints

Entertainment

Bohemian Rhapsody sweeps Golden Globes, surprising fans

Entertainment

Mary Poppins Returns lets down hopefuls

Entertainment

Brooklyn Nine-Nine picked up by NBC hours after cancellation