Outdoor track has a promising line up

Michael Katz, Staff Writer

As the temperatures slowly rise again, athletes are in the midst of their spring season. The same goes for the track team: runners are attempting to break personal records and throwers are perfecting their form.

Many of the seniors on the track team are running their last season. Much of the varsity team is currently composed of seniors, but with several notable sophomores and juniors, such as Sean Ahern, Alex Kalber, and Thomas Cunningham, ready to fill in the gaps next year for the top varsity spots.

While two of the boy’s best distance runners, many sprinters, and field athletes finished their senior season in the 2017-18 season, this team is still a strong contender with hopes to place well at the Middletown Invite and have a runner qualify for nationals in the mile. The team placed second last year at states by a small margin and is hoping for another great season.

With runners such as senior Matt Lecky, senior Edward Williams, and junior Ariana Monarca making State Opens and even New Englands in previous seasons, both the boys and girls team are poised to have a great season. Lecky ran in both State Opens during Cross Country and Indoor Track in addition to placing 13th in New Englands with his 4:24.73 mile, only a few seconds off of qualifying for nationals. Continuing in the outdoor season, Lecky recently ran a 4:25 mile, beating an All American runner and only five seconds behind a New Englands Champion. Williams also competed at State Opens for Indoor Track and led the sprinters with a great performance, but unfortunately fell short of the qualifying time. Monarca is the strongest contender for the girls’ team, having qualified for New Englands last year in Cross Country.

With such a promising lineup and several extremely talented runners, this track season looks to be an optimistic one. Lecky said, “We’re definitely not as good as we used to be, but we still hope to win our conference. Hopefully, we’ll have a few athletes go to State Opens.” Perhaps an understatement from a runner only a few seconds short of nationals this winter.