Boys and girls tennis look for redemption towards the end of their seasons

Sonya Hadley, Editor-in-chief

With the new tennis courts opening at Woodrow Wilson Middle School, the boys and girls tennis teams are practicing in a new environment. In prior years the teams practiced at Wesleyan’s courts.

This change in venue also means changes in scheduling. Due to the size of the available space, the boys and girls teams must now share the courts in a unique way, with a switch between 2:00-4:30 and 4:30-6:30 time slots each day.

The boys team is 2-8 and the girls team is 1-8 as of May 8. They have four more matches.

The first few matches were against teams that have historically been the greatest competition, such as Avon and Newington. The team is looking for greater success later in the season and with a total of 14 games.

With almost all the top boy’s players being juniors and seniors, the team faces the typical challenge of what to do next year. However, with the top and fourth singles players as juniors, the team is sure to continue to have a strong singles team even once the seniors graduate.

The tennis varsity teams are each composed of ten athletes. The meets are composed of seven matches between the teams. The top four are singles players, competing one on one with the opponents. The other six are doubles players where two players from each team compete — making up three doubles teams. The final team score is composed of the four singles scores and three doubles scores.