Swimmer Jack Doherty kicks off college recruiting, commits to William & Mary

Back to Article
Back to Article

Katie Marx, Sports Editor

As the fall sports season comes to a close, the college commitment season is just beginning. Kicking off this school year’s round of college commitment was senior Jack Doherty. On November 16, Doherty committed to the Division I College of William and Mary for swimming. Doherty holds a total of six school records, three of them being for individual events and three being for relay events. He also swims competitively outside of school. Coach Trevor Charles said, “Other than [Jack’s] natural ability in the water, he is very academically oriented, he’s grown accustomed to the schedule and hours of a student athlete, he’s demonstrated a high level of performance both in the water and in the classroom at the same time, so he seems to be the ideal candidate for a Division I school.” Doherty said, “Swimming takes up to twenty hours a week. But I definitely do my work and I definitely have to put that first before swimming.”

Charles is not the only individual who emphasizes the importance of academics when it comes down to getting recruited for college. Andy Beal, founder and president of the popular high school sports statistics website MaxPreps, wrote an article about the college recruitment process. Beal said, “I cannot over-emphasize the importance of getting good grades in high school and taking and scoring well on the college assessments tests such as the ACT and SAT. Many schools supplement partial athletic scholarships with academic scholarships or tuition reductions for athletes who display strong academic results.”

While grades do play a substantial role in the college recruitment process, the role of sheer athletic talent cannot be ignored. And while an athlete may have talent, there’s the matter of getting their information out to collegiate coaches. In this day and age, the internet allows athletes to make their stats and information to thousands of colligate coaches with the click of the button. Websites like Hudl and Berecruited have been created specifically for the purpose of aiding in the college recruitment process. Junior Jay Nanfito said, “For me personally, [Hudl] has worked out well and I will continue to use it. I believe in today’s age the internet is the number one tool that all athletes should utilize, as it’s all digital these days.” Despite the increased prevalence of internet-based college recruitment tools, some students still decide to take the old-fashioned route of calling coaching and inviting them to games. Senior Samantha Fletcher said, “[My father and I] went online and made a list of all the colleges I was looking at emails’. We would go to tournaments for my team and I would invite all the coaches.”

As the school year progresses, the student body can expect to hear about more students committing to colleges for sports. Many collegiate coaches wait to visit high schools until their own season has ended. Additionally, many student-athletes who do end up committing to a school do not do so on paper until February, on what has come to be known as National Signing Day, the first Wednesday of the month. Until then, the student body will have to settle for whispers of verbal commitment and rumors of who is being recruited.