Erykah Badu’s But You Caint Use My Phone disappoints

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gabriella Cafarelli, Staff Writer

At any Middletown High School football game, on Main Street, or in the mall, there are people giving out their mixtapes. A mixtape is a selection of songs mixed together onto one CD or playlist, sometimes consisting of remixed versions of popular songs or original tracks. Sometimes someone will take one, sometimes they may not, but either way it will most likely never get played. But You Caint Use My Phone is an underwhelming, disappointing mixtape.

Erykah’s genre of music can be classified as funk, R&B, soul and electronica. Her past songs are not so much in the style of electronica as her new single, but more R&B. The reason for the switch could possibly be because she wants a younger crowd to follow her music, since she is forty-four years old. This decision is reasonable due to the fact a majority of sales are to the younger generation. Her new album’s strange sound reflects this shift towards aiming sales at a younger audience.

Without a doubt, her song is very lengthy. Within the seven minutes and twenty-five seconds, she manages to sing, rap, and in one part, talk. To the average pop listener, not many songs that are of that length are enjoyable. The length of the song makes it very easy to lose interest. If the song was shorter, it would not be such a drag to listen to.

The whole song is up an octave from “Hotline Bling” and she has changed some of the lyrics. For instance, she changed, “You used to call me on my cell phone, late night when you need my love,” to “You used to call me on my cellular device at night.” This lyric change, along with other changes, is odd because no one calls their phone a “cellular device” anymore.

Erykah Badu’s new mixtape, But You Caint Use My Phone, is just another mixtape. There is not much uniqueness in the song as it is a remix of a few new and popular songs, including “Hotline Bling” by Drake and “Hello” by Adele. However, Erykah Badu is not a new face in the music industry. Her last real album came out five years ago and was called New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh). Some of her previous albums include New Amerykah Part One (4th World War) and Worldwide Underground. These albums, unlike her new mixtape, were successful, with 110,000 copies of New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh) were sold within the first week of being released and 143,561 copies of Worldwide Underground were also sold within the first week.

As for But You Caint Use My Phone, there has not yet been any data taken on the amount of copies sold or how many times people have listened to her song. Her song has been posted on YouTube and has 60,788 views, with 749 likes and 13 dislikes.

The path she is taking to appeal to a younger audience is a bit rough. Not many people know of her or her music and those who have heard her new single do not see any standouts within it. Most of the sound was the same and the mixtape did nothing to improve on the original songs. The sound was tinny and overly uniform. Nothing in the song stood out or was impressive. It was basic.

All in all, Erykah’s song is not a hit. She is not going to be breaking any records or selling millions of copies. Rather, she is not even heard of on a day to day basis or mentioned on social media, the radio or the news. But You Caint Use My Phone is a disappointing venture from an artist that could do so much more.

• Erykah Badu’s But You Caint Use My Phone disappoints

Entertainment

Venom surprises after poor critic ratings

Entertainment

Big Mouth season two is even better than the first

Entertainment

Clue kept audiences on the edge of their seats

Entertainment

Apocalypse brings American Horror Story back from the dead

Entertainment

Black Ops 4 brings exciting new mode

Entertainment

A Star Is Born will bring tears to your eyes

Entertainment

70th annual Primetime Emmys excite once more

Entertainment

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before brings more Asian representation to Netflix

Entertainment

Influencial singer Aretha Franklin dies at age 76

Entertainment

Crazy Rich Asians doesn’t impress as revamped Cinderella